Apple Watch can measure your heart rate variability (HRV). And we can calculate your HRV metrics based on the “raw” RR intervals in each measurement (beat-to-beat measurements). Note that HRV measurement is not an electrocardiogram (ECG) recording, and it can't be used as a substitute for ECG or a medical check-up.
Just sync Apple Health with Welltory and let us access your Heart Rate, Heart Rate Variability, and Mindful Minutes data. We need these types of health data to analyze your HRV measurements. The more categories you turn on, the more fascinating things about you and your body we'll send to your feed.
Check out this guide to see how you can connect your Apple Watch to Welltory.
Recent studies confirmed that HRV metrics extracted from Apple Watch could be trusted, and measurements with Apple Watch are as accurate as those taken by Polar straps and other heart rate monitors.
What if I Have an Apple Watch Series 3 or later?
Then, everything is well — your watch will record the HRV data automatically, we'll do the math and send the results to your feed. Apple Watch measures your heart rate when you are relaxed and calmed down. When you feel stressed out, and your heart is beating too fast, the watch won't write your HRV data to Apple Health.
Some tech specs for you to check if your watch can measure your HRV automatically:
- The version of the software should be watchOS 6.
- The watch must be paired with iPhone 6s or later with iOS 13 or later.
And if at some point, you'll feel like taking a manual measurement instead of the “smart” one, follow the guidelines below.
What if I Have an Apple Watch Series 1 or 2?
These watches can't record your HRV automatically, but you can still use them for measurements. If you need to measure your HRV here and now, you can force your Apple Watch to check your heart rate. Just open the Breathe app, and it'll write the data to Apple Health.
Note that you don't have to follow the tips you see in the Breathe app — breathe naturally and skip the measurement if your heart beats too fast.
Follow these steps to measure your HRV with Apple Watch Series 1 or 2 and the Breathe app:
1. Press the Digital Crown to go to the Home screen.
2. Open the Breathe app.
3. Turn the Digital Crown to set the measurement's length to at least 3 minutes.
4. Start the measurement, and remember to stay still while you breathe. To get the most accurate results, make sure your watch fits snugly on top of your wrist and try not to move. Keep silent, and don't aim to control the breath consciously. Check out some useful articles to improve the accuracy of your measurements.
5. When you're done, open Welltory and check out your feed to see the results.
If you want to use the Breathe app for mindfulness sessions, not for HRV measurements, head to the Welltory’s Measurement Settings, and turn off Measurement via the Breathe app.
Apart from time-domain HRV scores like RMSSD, SDNN, pNN50, and others, you can get Frequency analysis with frequency domain scores. All you need is to measure your HRV for five minutes in 300-RR interval duration mode. Just head to Menu > Settings > Measurement settings and choose 300 beat mode. If your resting heart rate is slower than 50 beats per minute, we recommend getting the Frequency analysis using your camera instead of the watch.
If you want to make sure that your measurement is recorded, go to Health > Heart > Heart Rate Variability > Show All Data. Here you can view your HRV scores by Day, Week, Month, or Year. If there is a watch icon next to your score, Apple Watch has successfully written your measurement to Health.
Tap on a particular measurement to see all the details.
Why Does My Measurement with Apple Watch Fail to Show up in My Feed?
There could be several reasons, for example:
- Your measurement was too short — less than 50 heartbeats. Check if your session was long enough in the Health's Beat-to-Beat measurements.
- A short while ago, we've sent you an Apple Watch measurement with a higher accuracy score, and there is no use to send similar yet less reliable results to your feed. However, if you've measured your HRV using Breathe, we'll send it to you no matter what.
- Your watch failed to sync with the Health that sends your data to Welltory. It can take up to 30 minutes for your device to sync with Health.
If Apple Watch has written your HRV data to Health, but you can't see your measurement results in Welltory, please reach out to us via in-app chat so we can help you out.